Ingredients:1½ tbsp. oil
few pepper corn(optional)
one small bay leaf
½ tsp cumin or shahi jeera
small cinammon stick
2 green cardamoms
3 to 4 cloves
¾ cup chopped onions
1 green slit
1½ tsp. ginger garlic paste
one small ripe tomato
¾ tsp meat masala or masala powder (adjust to suit your taste)
½ tsp. red chili powder
8 mint/pudina leaves chopped or 1 sprig curry leaves
250 grams chicken or lamb keema / minced meat
salt as needed
generous pinch of turmeric
few coriander leaves for garnish
optional ingredients for chicken keema recipe
¼ cup Green peas or cashews
⅓ cup cream or coconut milk or 12 cashews nuts (to make gravy)
How to make Chicken keema:1. Pour oil to a pan and heat it. Add the dry spices and saute till they begin to sizzle.
2. Add onions and green chilli. Fry until the onions turn golden.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes off.
4. Add chopped tomatoes, fry until softened. If tomatoes are dry, sprinkle very little water.
5. Add chili powder and masala powder, mint leaves and fry until the raw smell of tomatoes go off.
6. Set the onion tomato mixture to a plate.
7. Add back the bay leaf and minced meat, turmeric and salt.
8. Cover and cook on a low heat till the qeema is soft cooked in its own moisture. If needed sprinkle little water.
9. Add back the onion tomato mixture. Mix everything well.
10. Cook covered on a low flame till minced meat and onion tomato mixture blends well. This depends on the quantity of moisture left in the pan. To make dry keema curry, cook tiil all the moisture evaporates.
11. To make a gravy version of the chicken keema recipe, pour coconut milk or cashew milk and cook till the curry thickens. To make smooth cashew milk, blend cashew nuts with little water.If using cream, pour the cream in a bowl, add little keema to the cream first. stir it and then add it to the pan. This way it doesn't curdle. Add chopped coriander leaves.Serve with rice or roti, naan