The term Murgh Musallam, may be strange term and many of us may not be familiar. Actually, Murgh means Chicken, Musallam stands for Whole. Hence, Murgh Musallam often refers as "Whole Chicken". It was a very popular dish in royal court of Nawabs of Awadh ( Present day-Lucknow) and in Delhi Sultanate. It is a masala roasted chicken, blended with dry fruits will provides splendid automatic royal taste.
Ingredients for Murgh Musallam
- 1 kg chicken (whole)
- 4 green chillies
- 20 flakes garlic
- 20 gms ginger
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 5 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 cup beaten curd
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 12 cloves
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 16 almonds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 cup oil
- 3 onions
- 3 tomatoes blanched and pureed
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped
How to make Murgh Musallam1. Prick chicken pieces all over with a fork
2. Grind together chillies, 12 garlic flakes and ginger into a paste. Mix chicken well with ground paste, garam masala powder, salt, turmeric powder, curd and half of the red chilli powder. Allow to marinate for about 1/2 hour.
3. In a pan, roast together cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, almonds, cumin seeds and coriander seeds.
4. Heat oil in a pan for about 3 minutes. Add onions and remaining garlic flakes. Fry till onions are golden brown and remove. Strain oil and pour into cooker. Keep a aside.
5. Grind together fried and roasted ingredients and remaining ginger into a paste, adding a little water from time to time.
6. Remove chicken pieces. Reserve marinade. Group chicken into a batches. Place cooker with oil on high heat. Lightly brown each batch and remove.
7. To the remaining oil in cooker,add ground paste. Stir and fry for about 2 minutes. Add chicken pieces, marinate, tomato puree, remaining chilli powder and salt. Mix well & add remaining water.
8. Close cooker. Bring to full pressure on high heat. Reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes.
9. Open cooker. Garnish with coriander leaves.Your Murgh Musallam is ready to serve.
Also try our other Chicken Recipes.