Baby corn is a yellow coloured cereal grain taken from mature corn (maize). It is abundantly harvested in asia. Besides its tasty, crunchy taste, sweet baby corn provides valuable nutrients, which is required for human health. It is extremely low in fat and high in potassium and folic acid. It has amazing health benefits. Many people are unaware about sweet baby corn.
|Baby Corn, Photo adapted from seedsforafrica.|
Importance of baby corn for human health
- It stimulate digestion and helps losing weight-It contain high amount of fiber, both soluble and insoluble. The later can helps to stimulate digestion, which in turn useful for weight loss.
- It help balance blood glucose
- It help early development of a fetus.
- To prevent cancer
- To promote healthy vision
- To promote cardiovascular health
- To prevent nausea and vomiting in pregnancies
Try our baby corn pakoda recipePakoras or pakoda are usually served as a snack or appetiser. In Great Britain, pakodas are popular as a fast food snack, available in Indian and other asian restaurants. They are also often served with high tea to guests arriving to attend Indian wedding ceremonies, and are usually complemented with tamarind chutney, brown sauce, or ketchup. Baby corn Pakoda Recipe or Baby corn fingers recipe or Baby corn fritters recipe or Baby corn Bhajji are same names for the deep fried baby corn.
Ingredients for baby corn pakoda:-
- Baby corn-10 in number
- Ginger -1inch
- Garlic -5
- Corn flour -5tbsp
- Green chillies -5
- Coriander leaves -chopped
- Salt-as per taste
- Oil -for frying
How to make baby corn pakodas:-
- Cut the baby corn into length wise.
- Boil these sliced baby corns in enough water for 4 minutes. Drain the water and set the boiled baby corns aside. Take the chickpea flour / besan in a bowl. Add turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder, chaat masala powder.
- Add crushed ginger. Add water in small quantities and whisk the batter till it is smooth and there are no lumps. The batter should be neither too thick nor too thin. Keep whisking for around 3 minutes to get fluffy pakoras.
- Dip each slice of baby corn in this batter and deep fry in hot oil in small batches till they turn golden brown.
- Baby corn pakoras are now ready to be served.
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND WHILE MAKING BABY CORN PAKODA:-
1. After mixing the flour don’t make it immediately, give some time to the batter. Baking soda will act as a catalyst here.
2. Always fry the baby corn in low-medium flame, even though we boil the baby corn first before coating with the batter, it needs some time to cook inside. Then only you can get the golden brown baby corn fritters.
3. If you wanted to make baby corn fritters or baby corn 65 then use to plain flour/maida and follow the same preparation method and deep fry it.
4. You can try the baked version of baby corn fritters, prepared a greased plate or on aluminium foil arrange the baby corn and bake it for 15 mins in between we need to turn the other side also.
5. Boil the baby corn before use but if you are making other bajji like potato bhajji or onion bhajji , no need to boil it.
6. The batter should not be too thick or too thin. It should be of idly batter consistency.